.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

It was true!

Not as exciting as it sounded. We merely entered the country to refit a nuclear sub tender. We were exposed, to a lot of toxins. But we were young and the money was good. The first day we were working in a smoke stack, did I mention this was a WWII era sub tender. We needed to replace some steel, it was covered with asbestos insulation. The air filtration gear looked exactly like one of those masks the docs use...... G.I. issue, so I know it was adequate. I quickly found me another place to work...........................in the fuel cell, it also needing some welding repairs (oh sheet)! Have you ever been in a fuel cell (that you accessed through the floor of sick bay), about 16 compartments into the cell and here " FIRE, FIRE, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, FIRE IN SICK BAY!" Talk about pucker factor, the baffles in the fuel cells were just large enough to squeeze through, I think I set a record getting out. I was high from the fuel fumes and I think I floated out. It was a trip!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?